Monday, August 16, 2010

Day 227: Coral Necklace


This necklace was a gift from my grandparents and although it's a lovely pendant it doesn't suit me at all. Mostly the color doesn't look right against my skin. There is something about gifts from the grandparents that makes them incredibly difficult to get rid of. The fact is, however, that I've owned this for many years and it still has not graced my neck.

My grandfather passed away a few years ago and his passing actually spurred my desire to minimize my possessions. My grandparents house was always spotless but when we traveled down to help my grandmother downsize we discovered that he hoarded things. The most striking moment for me (other than the memories and our loss, of course) was when I pulled out a yoga book and asked my grandmother if it could go. She said no, because it was a gift. One she had received twenty years ago and never used.

After that week I was determined to do two things: learn how to let go of gifts and not leave so much stuff for my descendants to deal with.

My grandfather; wasn't he a cutie!

Status: Dibbed

1 comment :