Friday, November 26, 2010

Day 329: Helga's Dowry by Tomie dePaola


This is a favorite book from when I was a child but I only bought a copy recently. It's the story of a troll woman whose lover leaves her for a troll from a rich family. She is determined to earn herself a dowry to win him back. I don't want to spoil the great ending! I first discovered this book in the children's library at Holden Village, a Lutheran retreat above Lake Chelan.

My family did not take many vacations that did not involve visiting relatives or camping so it was always a treat to visit Holden. My parents taught classes and we pitched in as volunteers to reduce our costs. We had to attend Vespers once a week but other than that I managed to avoid most religious angles.  They don't have internet or cell phone service but they do have a manually operated bowling alley, pool, games, books, a huge jacuzzi, and an ice cream parlor. I've been wanting to go back because it's one of the few places I'm comfortable leaving behind technology.

Status: Dibbed

1 comment :

  1. This sounds very cute! I would love to add this one to the shelf!

    ReplyDelete