Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Day 292: The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins


I was raised going to a Catholic church although it was very Seattle progressive. I was pretty much an atheist from the start. As a kid it held no interest whatsoever except as the only way to acquire doughnuts and tamales. At home we pretty much ate rice, beans, and vegetables with dessert only on birthdays so any opportunity to get meat, junk food, and sweets held strong attraction.


I used to voluntarily attend a friend's Awana and then youth groups at some very conservative Christian churches. My mom asked her friends worriedly, "Should I let her go? I don't want her to get brainwashed." Of course she had nothing to worry about because I just wanted the candy prizes for memorizing bible quotes and the chips and soda and games at all the youth group meetings. I even did bible quizzing for a bit because there were some cute guys competing. There wasn't a moment when I took any of it seriously. 


For years I tried to convince my parents to let me stay home from church and then one year, at Christmas eve mass, my youngest sister flipped a nun the bird. Embarrassing, yes, but after that my parents let me and and my other sister take turns staying home with her. It was awesome.

Status: Dibbed

4 comments :

  1. If this hasn't been dibbed yet I'm interested. I was also raised churchy, but now am agnostic.

    -Rene'

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MAN. I want this too...was going to buy it!!!

    -The Doctor

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been on my wish list for a while now, but I never got around to buying it. Dibs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's yours Rene! I'll give it to Dan to give to you.

    ReplyDelete