Sunday, October 17, 2010

Day 289: Gloves (for yardwork)


I've been searching for the right cause to cause to volunteer my time for a while now. SeattleWorks has a program called Team Works where you volunteer for a different organization each month in a team. I thought that would be a good way to get my feet wet but it turns out that if you aren't excited about the work it is really difficult to stay motivated.

Fortunately, my friend Tino has the pulse of everything and he thought I might be interested in the Seattle Architecture Foundation. He has been guiding tours for this organization for over two years now and he thought I would enjoy them. I went through the tour guide training in September which was loads of fun. Next weekend is my first practice tour with real (non-paying) guests. In preparation I took a bunch of friends out today for a mini version of the Design Details tour. It was a lot of fun and I'm feeling really good about my performance. I am looking forward to leading real tours with paying guests!

SAF conducts more than 300 tours a year in Seattle and Bellevue. It is a non profit organization almost entirely run by volunteers. Next time you have people to take sightseeing, or if you're just interested in learning more about our city, consider doing one of their tours! They are usually around $15 for a two hour walking tour and they are informative and fun.

Status: Donated

No comments :

Post a Comment